Key Employee Initiative
The Key Employee Initiative (KEI) is a fast-tracked work/residence scheme offered to highly-specialised Third Country Nationals seeking employment in Malta. The scheme aims to facilitate the issue of work and residence permits to prospective key employees within five (5) working days from the date of submission of the application.
Who may apply?
The scheme is applicable to managerial or highly-technical posts which require specific qualifications or adequate experience. The applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- Annual gross salary of at least €30,000 per annum;
- Certified copies of the relevant qualifications, warrants or the necessary work experience;
- Declaration by the employer stating that the applicant has the necessary credentials to perform the duties being assigned.
Innovators involved in start-up projects specifically endorsed by the Malta Enterprise may also benefit from this scheme.
Approved applicants are issued with a residence permit valid for one (1) year. The permit may be renewed for a maximum period of three (3) years, subject to the presentation of:
- A valid definite or indefinite contract; and
- The original annual tax declaration form stamped by the Inland Revenue Department.
Applications for a single permit under the KEI may also be submitted while the applicant is still abroad.
GTG Advocates can provide assistance with:
- Obtaining a Visa to come to Malta
- Preparation of necessary documents and forms
- Applying for the Key Employee Initiative
- Liaising with the authorities
- Drafting of employment contracts