Malta has established a comprehensive framework of different types of funds and investment vehicles. This in turn is supported by a sound financial services framework and attractive tax system.
Investment funds may be set up in Malta as either:
- Retail Collective Investment Schemes (CISs) (UCITS or Retail AIFs)
- Qualifying Professional Investor Funds (PIFs)
- Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs) (including NAIFs)
Malta thus offers a portfolio of fund options which may be set up through a number of innovative vehicles (including open-ended and closed-ended schemes, trusts and limited partnerships). The SICAV remains most popular type of fund structure and it may include master feeder funds and umbrella funds with segregated sub-funds.
Investment funds in Malta benefit from low setup and operational costs as well as a strong network of fund administrators. By contrast to other domiciles however, funds licensed in Malta are not required to appoint a local administrator allowing promoters the flexibility to maintain a working relationship with other existing institutions. Funds may also choose to be self-managed or to appoint external third-party management.
Through Malta’s membership in the European Union, UCITS and AIFs are able to benefit from their respective passporting regime while closed-ended schemes are able to benefit from the passporting opportunities under the Prospectus Directive.
The financial services sector is often subject to frequent and rapid change; this requires service providers to adjust accordingly. GTG is continuously abreast with new legislation and approaches to financial products.
At GTG we are able to offer assistance in the following areas:
- Regulatory assistance in obtaining an investment fund licence
- Assistance in project financing
- Arrangements for the fulfilment of licensing requirements and the process of securing authorisations from the regulator
- Drafting of offering documentation
- Passporting in or out of Malta under the relevant directives
- Ongoing regulatory compliance and advice
- Listings on the Malta Stock Exchange
- Advice on the adherence to laws regulating the prevention of money laundering and of funding of terrorism
Our services are also complimented by our Corporate Services team which can offer specialised guidance in corporate, regulatory & compliance matters.