Highly Qualified Persons Programme
Malta has established itself as a centre of excellence in the fields of financial services and iGaming and is also becoming a respected jurisdiction in the aviation field. This growth was maintained even during the financial crisis and schemes such as the HQPR are meant to attract further specialised and experienced individuals to meet the ever-growing demand for such positions.
This residence scheme is available to any interested applicant; thus EU/EEA/Swiss nationals as well as third country nationals may apply. Third country nationals who do not meet the requirements set out below may wish to consider applying for the Global Residence Programme, the Malta Residence and Visa Programme or alternatively the Individual Investor Programme. EU/EEA/Swiss nationals may on the other hand wish to consider the Malta Residence Programme.
- A favourable flat tax rate of 15% on employment income which may be used in respect of any period spent outside Malta in connection with work duties
- No further tax is chargeable on income in excess of €5,000,000
The applicant for this scheme must:
Be subject to a minimum tax payment
- Be subject to a minimum employment income of €81,205* (excluding fringe benefits)
- Hold an eligible office in Malta through a qualifying contract of employment
- Possess the necessary professional qualifications
- Be in receipt of stable and regular resources sufficient to maintain himself and his family without recourse to the Maltese social assistance system
- Reside in accommodation regarded as normal for a comparable family in Malta meeting the general Maltese health and safety standards
- Be in possession of a valid travel document
- Be in possession of sickness insurance in respect of all risks normally covered for Maltese nationals for himself and the members of his family
- Not be domiciled in Malta
The Scheme is applicable to “Highly Qualified Persons” seeking employment with companies licensed and/or recognised by the Malta Financial Services Authority, companies licensed by the Malta Gaming Authority and undertakings holding an Air Operators’ Certificate or an Aerodrome licence issued by the Authority for Transport in Malta.
The eligible employments or offices to benefit from this scheme are the following:
(a) Chief Executive Officer, Chief Risk Officer (including Fraud and Investigations Officer), Chief Financial Officer, Chief Operations Officer (including Aviation Accountable Manager), Chief Technology Officer, Chief Commercial Officer,
(b) Portfolio Manager, Chief Investment Officer, Senior Trader/Trader, Senior Analyst (including Structuring Professional), Actuarial Professional, Chief Underwriting Officer, Chief Insurance Technical Officer, Odds Compiler Specialist, Head of Research and Development (including Search Engine Optimisation and Systems Architecture), Aviation Continuing Airworthiness Manager, Aviation Flight Operations Manager, Aviation Training Manager, and Aviation Ground Operations Manager,
(c) Head of Marketing (including Head of Distribution Channels), Head of Investor Relations.
Note: The benefit is available for a period of 5 years in the case of EEA and Swiss Nationals. In the case of non-EU/EEA nationals (third country nationals), this benefit is available for a period of 4 years, subject to a claw-back if the individual remains in Malta beyond that period, or if he directly or indirectly acquires immovable property in Malta. This period starts to run from the year the individual takes up residence in Malta and derives income taxable in Malta.
*The amount of minimum employment income is subject to be reviewed annually by the relevant authority.
Registration under the Highly Qualified Persons Programme must be done through a Registered Authorised Mandatary. GTG Advocates is registered to provide such services and can assist you and apply on your behalf.
Should you require additional information or if you have any queries on the Highly Qualified Persons Programme, kindly get in touch with us on email@example.com