Malta Residence and Visa Programme
The Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP) promotes the issue of Maltese residence permits for applicants, their beneficiaries and dependants, reflecting the right of residence in Malta on the strength of the programme for an initial validity period of five (5) years.
The Certificate issued under this Programme grants the right to the Main Applicant, his beneficiaries and dependants to reside, settle or stay indefinitely in Malta. Unlike the Global Residence Programme, there is no requirement for the Main Applicant to take up residence in Malta as his principle place of residence worldwide.
There is also no requirement to pay minimum tax in Malta.
The Main Applicant must be at least 18 years of age. In the same application, he/she may include the following individuals:
- Spouse – in a monogamous marriage or in another relationship having the same or similar status to marriage;
- Dependents of 18 years of age and under;
- Dependents between the age of 18 and 26 years of age, who are not married, and who can prove they are not economically active and are principally dependent on the Main Applicant;
- A parent or grandparent of the Main Applicant or his/her spouse who can prove they are not economically active and are principally dependent on the Main Applicant;
- A child of the Main Applicant or of his/her spouse who is at least 18 years of age and who has been certified by a recognised medical professional as having a disability as defined under the relevant Maltese Act, and who is living with, and is wholly supported by the Main Applicant.
Furthermore, the Main Applicant must also:
- Commit to own or rent a qualifying owned property or qualifying rented property in Malta and hold such property for at least 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of residence. The values of the property need to be as follows:
|Immovable property situated in the north of Malta||€320,000|
|Immovable property situated in Gozo or the south of Malta||€270,000|
|Immovable property situated in the north of Malta||€12,000 per annum|
|Immovable property situated in Gozo or the south of Malta||€10,000 per annum|
- Commit to invest €250,000, as directed by Identity Malta, and hold such investment for at least 5 years from the date of issue of the certificate of residence
- Pay a non-refundable administrative fee of €5,500
- Commit to pay the remaining contribution of €24,500 (€30,000 less the non-refundable administrative fee) following Identity Malta’s approval for the issue of the Certificate
- Be able to declare through an affidavit that as from the date of the application onwards he either has an annual income of at least €100,000 arising outside Malta or has in his possession a capital of at least €500,000
- Be in possession of sickness insurance which covers himself and his dependants in respect of all risks across the whole of the EU normally covered for Maltese nationals
The application and issue of the residence permit is also subject to due diligence checks carried out by Identity Malta on the Main Applicant and all the dependants.
The Certificate of Residence is monitored annually by Identity Malta Agency for the first 5 years from its issue and every 5 years thereafter. The Main Applicant ceases to benefit from the certificate if at any time after the appointed day he stays legally and continuously in Malta for 4 years or more.
GTG Advocates has been appointed as one of the accredited persons by Identity Malta and is authorised to apply on behalf of third country nationals interested in the Malta Residence and Visa Programme. GTG Advocates can therefore provide you with all the assistance required in order to apply under the MRVP.
Should you require additional information or if you have any queries on the Malta Residence and Visa Programme, kindly get in touch with us on email@example.com