Identity Malta has recently launched the Key Employee Initiative (KEI), a fast-tracked service aimed to facilitate the issue of a work/residence permit for highly-specialised Third Country Nationals seeking employment in Malta under the single permit procedure.
The scheme is applicable to managerial or highly-technical posts which require specific qualifications or adequate experience. The applicants must satisfy the following conditions:
- Annual gross salary of at least €30,000 per annum;
- Certified copies of the relevant qualifications, warrants or the necessary work experience;
- Declaration by the employer stating that the applicant has the necessary credentials to perform the duties being assigned.
Prospective employees may expect to receive the permit within 5 working days from the date of submission of the application. Approved applicants are issued with a residence permit valid for 1 year. The permit may be renewed for a maximum period of 3 years, subject to the presentation of:
- A valid definite or indefinite contract; and
- The original annual tax declaration form stamped by the Inland Revenue Department.
Applications for a single permit under the KEI may also be submitted while the applicant is still abroad.
For more information on Maltese Residence Schemes or if you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dr Cherise Abela on firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: This article is not intended to impart legal advice and readers are asked to seek verification of statements made before acting on them.